Staying WELL + HEALTHY is a multi-faceted lifestyle approach, especially during these times of the COVID19 pandemic.
We hope to offer you common sense tools, along with some basic lifestyle tips, basic nutrients for optimal wellness, and education on nutrients and supplements that help support your immune system.
PROPER HAND WASHING
Article from the CDC > Follow these five steps every time.
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
AVOID TOUCHING YOUR FACE, MOUTH, EYES
It is wild to think about how frequently we touch our faces daily!
Here is a great Article on Tips for not touching your face.
The virus gets into the body through your orifices (mouth, nose, eyes) – by recognizing your triggers for touching your face, and taking precautionary measures to avoid these triggers is a huge step in preventing your own exposure.
We are at a global shortage of PPE for our healthcare providers to meet the rising global demand for patients with severe symptoms associated to COVID19. If you are sick wearing a mask is appropriate in public, HOWEVER the current advice is to quarantine at home if you are presenting with symptoms until you are 72 hours symptom free. You can wear a mask at home to prevent the spread to other family members.
Social distancing has been mandated in most US states at this point – providing opportunity for our country to collectively assist in flattening the curve, to provide our hospitals and health care providers the ability to aid in caring for patients with symptoms, without overburdening our hospitals.
Social distancing is currently being defined as staying home for non-essential activities, avoiding contact with people who have symptoms associated to COVID19 (or have tested positive), and keeping 6 feet of distance between yourself and others when in public spaces.
SEEKING MEDICAL CARE – when appropriate and needed
We are currently at a shortage of testing abilities and facilities in our country, and the risk of spreading the disease adds to this burden. Most Urgent / Immediate care facilities ask that you CALL in to the Nurse triage line for assessment prior to coming in for an appointment. Many facilities are having providers come to the patient’s car for assessment and testing, so as not to infect any public spaces.
This article by the CDC clearly outlines what to do when you feel sick, the steps to take, and when to seek medical care.
IT’S TIME TO PRIORITIZE YOUR HEALTH NOW!
If not now, when?
A common theme that we hear in the clinic is that there is often “not enough time” to focus on self care.
NOW is your time!
We would love to inspire each and everyone of you to focus on the 7 PILLARS OF INSPIRED HEALTH on a DAILY basis!
This goes for not only YOU, but YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY as well.
Take your time to refresh yourself on our health pillars!
We can do this together!
Sunshine + Nature, Community, Nutrition, Sleep, Movement, Stress Management, Creativity
Now is the time to create a ROUTINE of self care!
In a perfect world we would get our exercise and quiet / meditation time in the morning.
If you tell yourself that you will wait until later in the day, there is a good chance that multiple things will get in your way.
Put yourself first, at the beginning of your day!
We always say, “If it’s not in your calendar it doesn’t exist!”
MOVEMENT IN THE TIME OF “STAY HOME, STAY HEALTHY”
New habits require repetition.
Practice makes permanent, not perfect!
Set a goal for yourself to get up every morning and move your body. We know that you can no longer go to the gym or your favorite exercise class, but there are now multiple online options to do online class or you can get outside for a lovely – walk, hike, run, or bike ride out in the fresh air.
Moving your body on a daily basis will keep your immune system and mind WELL.
Here are some of our favorite online exercise class resources:
- Barre3 Online: 15 Day free trial
- The Class by Taryn Toomey: 14 Day free trial
- Local Bend, OR Online Classes
EATING NUTRIENT DENSE WHOLE FOODS
Now more than ever is it time to eat a whole foods, nutrient dense diet.
Avoiding hyper-processed foods, sugars, and ALCOHOL will help keep your immune system focused and primed, versus battling inflammation. We all know that inflammation is the #1 common denominator between all chronic disease!
Inspired Health “DAILY ESSENTIALS” to keep you WELL + THRIVING!!
Prior to the COVID19 crisis, we had narrowed down what we considered the top 5 nutrients to maintain and support optimal wellness!
We call these the “DAILY ESSENTIALS” – and we have packaged them up in convenient individual on the go packets.
You can of course take your current supply, or take them individually – but these power packed nutrients will provide you with a solid baseline for supporting your immune system.
- Multivitamin (Methylated Multivitamin): Active Multinutrients (w/o Copper + Iron)
- Vitamin D: D3-K2 5,000
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids: Omega Pro Monoglyceride (Fish Oil), DHA from Algae (Vegan)
- Magnesium: Magnesium (glycinate / malate)
- Probiotics: Max Probiotic-100
SELECT NUTRIENTS TO SUPPORT YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM
- VITAMIN C: is able to exert multiple beneficial effects on cellular functions of both our innate and adaptive immune system. As a cofactor for numerous biosynthetic and gene regulatory enzymes, vitamin C plays a key role in immune modulating effects. Over 200 studies showing it’s ability to prevent and treat infections and support the immune system against the common cold and flu. Studies also show that an extra dose of Vitamin C can help shorten the duration of the common cold and flu, and help support respiratory tissues in the lungs.
- Food Sources of Vitamin C:
- Broccoli, Cantaloupe, Cauliflower, Kale, Kiwi, Orange Juice, Papaya, Red, Green or Yellow pepper, Sweet potato, Strawberries, and Tomatoes
- INSPIRED PICK: Vitamin C (ascorbate) with Black Pepper extract for higher bioavailability
- Food Sources of Vitamin C:
- ZINC: helps the immune system fight off bacteria and viruses. Some studies suggest that zinc lozenges or syrup (but not zinc dietary supplements in pill form) help speed recovery from the common cold and reduce its symptoms if taken within 24 hours of coming down with a cold.
- Be careful – do not spray Zinc in the nasal passages as it can cause temporary (and rarely permanent) loss of smell.
- Caution – Zinc can interfere with the absorption of certain medications (tetracycline antibiotics, quinolone, diuretics, and RA meds) > Discontinue use if using an antibiotic.
- Food Sources of Zinc:
- Whole grains, Milk, Oysters, Red Meat, Poultry, Beans, Nuts
- INSPIRED PICK: Zinc Lozenge
- VITAMIN D: is a fat soluble vitamin that is integral in proper bone health, AND immune function. You’ll notice that Vitamin D is part of our Daily Essentials for this very reason! This meta-analysis of Vitamin D shows the supplementation helps prevent and protect against acute respiratory tract infections.
- PROBIOTICS: With approximately 70% of our immune system within the gut, the health of our gut Microbiome is imperative to the health of our entire body. Probiotics have been shown to support immune system function in gut, as well as in the prevention and treatment of respiratory tract infections.
- Food Sources of Probiotics:
- Fermented foods: Yogurts, Kombucha, Kefir, Sauerkraut, Pickles, Kimchi, Miso, Kvass, Natto, Tempeh
- Food Sources of Probiotics:
IMMUNE SUPPORTIVE HERBS
There are currently no studies that show any herbs that can treat or prevent COVID19.
However, we are doing our best to continue to keep our shelves stocked with Immune supportive herbs that we have been using in clinical practice for 15 years, for YOU to stay healthy during these times.
You can visit our Immune First Aid Kit page for the highest quality medical grade herbal supplements!