The Inspired Health Approach is a NEW approach to healthcare.
We provide high-tech, exceptional Integrative healthcare with the added benefit of extensive training in Naturopathic, Chinese and Functional medicine.
By connecting Functional Medicine with Ancestral principles, we are able to utilize evidence-based modern science, lab testing and technology, alongside nutrition, herbal and lifestyle approaches to address the root cause of disease. This 360° analysis of your health guides the creation of a customized regimen specifically tailored for you, moving you along your path towards inspired health.
Our Patients: Who are they?
Our practitioners see patients with a wide variety of chronic health conditions, from autoimmune disease, gastrointestinal disorders and hypothyroidism, to infertility.
Patients who do well under our care:
- Are seeking assistance to support their health beyond unnecessary pharmaceutical and medical intervention.
- Are motivated to take an active role in their own health and healing.
- Are interested in understanding and discovering the underlying root cause of their symptoms, and actively addressing any imbalances versus simply suppressing symptoms.
- Are willing and capable of making necessary dietary and lifestyle changes to support optimal health and overall well-being.
What is Functional Medicine?
Functional medicine is a term that defines a movement of personalized medicine that focuses on prevention and underlying physiology versus symptoms for serious chronic disease. By analyzing and establishing a baseline physiology through history, medical labs and integrative diagnostics, our practitioners can determine customized treatment strategies to bring into function an optimal state of health, as well as assess patient progress to treatment protocols.
Functional medicine is a science-based field of healthcare that is grounded and guided by the following 6 principles:
- Biochemical individuality describes the importance of individual variations in metabolic function that derive from genetic and environmental differences among individuals.
- Patient-centered medicine emphasizes “patient care” rather than “disease care”
- Dynamic balance of internal and external factors.
- Web-like interconnections of physiological factors – an abundance of research now supports the view that the human body functions as an orchestrated network of interconnected systems, rather than individual systems functioning autonomously and without effect on each other.
- Health as a positive vitality – not merely the absence of disease.
- Promotion of organ reserve as the means to enhance longevity and healthspan.
As a New Patient, your treatment is broken into two phases:
- Phase One: The Case Review
- Step 1 of The Case Review: Initial Intake/Consultation
- Step 2 of The Case Review: Review/Report of Findings
- Phase Two: On-going Treatment
PHASE ONE: The Case Review
The Case Review initial intake is the first step for all New Patients, and is ultimately a “Data Collecting Phase”. The Case Review is designed to provide appropriate time for a complete Functional Medicine intake and analysis to save money and time in the long-term by performing the appropriate diagnostic and physiologic testing and evaluation before treatment begins.
We live in a time where “Data” is the new common, shared language.
We live in a time where “data” is the new common, shared language. By utilizing appropriate lab testing (removing the guessing) we are able to place key pieces of data into place alongside the patient’s clinical picture to help identify the underlying physiologic patterns that contribute to disease. These data points (labs test results, clinical signs and symptoms) create our 360° analysis of your health. Using this analysis as a guide, we customize a regimen specifically tailored for you- moving you along your path towards inspired health.
Case Review – STEP ONE: Initial Intake/Consultation
The Initial New Patient Intake/Consultation is a 60 minute appointment (if Acupuncture is included: 90 minutes). During this visit we review all pertinent signs, symptoms, patterns of disease, diagnosis (past and current), and any contributing information that helps guide a comprehensive 360º look at your health.
Prior to your Initial Intake/Consultation we require that you fill out our New Patient Intake health history forms. These forms can be filled out within your Patient Portal. It is important that you spend time and energy to complete these forms, as they are a vital piece of data and help us understand your case history. This paperwork includes:
- New Patient Health History Questionnaire
- Survey of your Goals and Chief Complaints/Concerns
- Assessment of your ongoing symptoms
- Survey of current/past medications and supplements
- History of diagnosis of disease
- (MSQ): Medical Symptom/Toxicity Questionnaire
- 3 Day Nutrition Diary Form
NOTE: We do feel that it is important for us to review previous labs and records. We ask that you compile the most pertinent and recent (last 6 months) labs and records as priority. Please provide these to our office in advance of your appointment via the patient portal. We will review these at the time of your appointment, however, if the records are extensive (>10 pages), your practitioner will need additional time to complete the Review of Records. This will be billed at an additional cost.
After your Initial Intake/Consultation, our practitioners will:
- Recommend initial laboratory evaluations specifically tailored to your personal case.
- Provide you with any necessary dietary guidelines to follow for 30 days.
- Recommend initial supplements and lifestyle changes for you to begin.
It is critical that you implement the initial recommendations and 30 Day Diet changes to the best of your capabilities and in a timely manner. Your experience with the diet is part of the “data” collected, and will be just as important as any lab findings in guiding the next steps in your ongoing care plan.
Once you complete your labs and we have received the lab results you will move onto Step Two: The Review/Report of Findings. This typically occurs between 4-8 weeks after the Initial Consultation: some labs we use take up to 4 weeks to deliver the results to us after receiving your sample. While you wait for your labs to come back, you will be implementing the 30 Day Dietary changes and initial supplement and lifestyle recommendations, and making forward progress.
Case Review – STEP TWO: Review/Report of Findings
The Case Review/Report of Findings visit is a 60 minute appointment (if Acupuncture is included: 90 minutes). Our practitioners can do this appointment in person, or can be done via VSee (a Telemedicine platform designed to keep your information HIPAA compliant) if necessary.
At the Report of Findings visit, our practitioners will:
- Integrate data from your history and intake with the new laboratory data from testing.
- This interpretation is typed up ahead of time, to ensure that proper education and understanding of lab interpretations is met.
- Discuss any underlying patterns and triggers that are contributing to your symptoms.
- Outline the suggested treatment plan: including dietary, supplement and lifestyle recommendations.
- Recommend further testing (if needed).
- Answer any questions you have about the findings or the treatment plan.
- Collaboration and feedback is essential: any adjustments to the treatment plan can be made at this point or in the future.
- Recommend future lab and appointment follow up schedules.
PHASE TWO: Ongoing Treatment
Once the Case Review Steps 1 & 2 are complete, you will then move into Phase Two. In general, we suggest a 4-6 week follow up after your Report of Findings appointment, and then as needed to Review any future pertinent labs. Generally Labs are retested every 4, 6 or 12 months (depending on the Lab used). At these visits, we will review your progress on the treatment plan, along with any follow-up test results, and make additional recommendations or adjustments to the treatment plan as necessary.
You may schedule follow-up appointments in person, or have them online via VSee. If you live outside of the Raleigh/Triangle area, we ask that you return for an in person visit at least once a year.
The costs of Laboratory tests recommended during the case review process varies depending on the complexity of condition and level of diagnostic testing required. Laboratory testing is typically $150-1500 (depending on the number of lab tests required for each individual case).
Our practitioners utilizes a collaborative approach with other specialists (General Practitioners, Gastroenterologists, Reproductive Endocrinologists, etc) wherever she can, in order to create a team of support for each individual patient.
The exact lab testing ordered after the Initial Case Review depends on the individual case, and may include:
- Blood tests for specific conditions: such as high cholesterol/lipids, autoimmune disease, gluten sensitivity, food sensitivities, Leaky Gut, vitamin/nutrients status, chronic infections.
- Advanced comprehensive stool testing: to screen for beneficial bacteria status, gram negative bacteria, yeast, parasites, intestinal inflammatory markers (IBS, IBD), dysbiosis.
- Breath testing: for SIBO (Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth)
- CommonWealth Labs > only available in Oregon practice
- Saliva, Serum and/or Urine hormone testing: for adrenal and sex hormone metabolism.
- Genetic testing: for methylation anomalies and detox capabilities.
The fee for supplements recommended as part of your treatment strategy after the Case Review is typically $100-300.
- Did you know there is no FDA regulation on OTC supplements? We hand select medical grade natural supplements to support YOUR health goals.
What conditions do we treat?
In conventional medicine, there is a physician for every part of your body: Gastroenterologists for the digestive system, Cardiologist for the heart, Neurologists for the nervous system and brain, Endocrinologists for the hormonal system, Podiatrist for your feet, and Ophthalmologists for your eyes. In functional medicine, we are trained to see the body as an interconnected whole, recognizing that in order to treat one part of the body, all of the other parts of the body must be considered.
In working with you as a patient, The Inspired Health Approach takes an Overview Effect approach: zooming out to see the common patterns that link all of the health conditions together within the person sitting in front of us. By viewing this perspective we are able to utilize a 360° analysis of your health to see overarching patterns, and can offer customized interventions specifically tailored to impact multiple pathways simultaneously – Helping you recover your own innate inspired health.
By using The Inspired Health Approach we are able to treat a wide variety of health problems, including (but not limited to):
- Adrenal disorders
- Autoimmune disease
- Cardiovascular disease
- Chronic fatigue
- Chronic sinusitis
- Chronic infections
- Digestive disorders (IBD, IBS, GERD/Reflux, SIBO)
- Elevated cholesterol
- Environmental and food allergies
- Female disorders (PMS, Menopause, Infertility, PCOS)
- Fertility / Infertility (Male + Female)
- Gut Health: Gastrointestinal Disease
- Hormone Health + Hormonal imbalances
- Interstitial cystitis
- Metabolic syndrome, pre-diabetes, insulin resistance
- Migraines and headaches
- MS (Multiple Sclerosis)
- MTHFR + Genetic Anomalies
- Overweight and obesity: Weight Management:
- Sleep disorders and insomnia
- Thyroid disorders