It’s that time of year – our immune systems can be challenged with viruses as we spend more time indoors. A warm, comforting, immune boosting soup is just the thing we need. This nourishing soup is packed with nutrient rich vegetables, protein, and lots of flavor!
Immune Boosting Soup for Cold & Flu Season
- 1.5 pounds Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1 medium Yellow Onion (diced)
- 1 large Leek, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 3 large Carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 stalks Celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp Rosemary (there's usually rosemary in Italian seasoning but we like ours with a little extra! 🙂
- 6 cups Chicken broth
- 1 10 ounce Bag of frozen peas (optional)
- 1/4 cup Fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 Lemon, juiced. (About one tablespoon)
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sauté until cooked through. Set the chicken aside.
Add chopped garlic, turmeric, Italian seasoning, rosemary and continue to sauté for another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until spices and garlic are fragrant.
Add chicken broth to the pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and add to the pot, along with frozen peas (if using) and fresh parsley. Simmer for another 10 minutes, allowing chicken to warm through and peas to cook.
Add lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve garnished with some extra parsley if desired.