Fall is here and we’re excited to share some of our favorite recipes for the season! This healthy Autumn Squash Casserole is full of flavor and features Brussels sprouts, squash, cauliflower rice, chicken sausage, and fresh herbs. Apples, cranberries, and cinnamon give the dish a sweet flair. Serve as a meal or side dish. Enjoy!
Autumn Squash Casserole
- 3 Cups Butternut Squash (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 2 Cups Brussels Sprouts (halved)
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (diced)
- 2 Cups Cauliflower Rice (or regular rice if you prefer to have a grain)
- 4 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 5-6 Links Chicken Sausage (Or whatever protein you like!)
- 2 Tsp Fresh Rosemary (minced)
- 2 Tsp Fresh Sage (minced)
- 1 Tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 2 Tsp Fresh Parsley (minced)
- 1 Apple (diced)
- 1/2 Cup Slivered Almonds
- 1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- Sea Salt + Fresh Pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 425° F.
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the squash on one sheet and the Brussels sprouts on the other. Sprinkle both sheets with salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
Bake for 25 minutes, stirring the veggies halfway through. Once done, reduce the heat to 400° F.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of the oil. Cook the onions until translucent, then add the garlic and cook about 30 seconds.
Stir in the chicken sausage and fresh herbs, and cook until the sausage is browned on the outside.
Add in the cauliflower rice, apples, almonds and cinnamon. Cook and stir until the cauliflower rice and apples begin to soften. Stir in the cranberries and season with salt and pepper to taste, then remove from heat.
Combine the rice/sausage mixture with the roasted squash/Brussels sprouts in a 9 x 13” baking dish (coated with cooking spray).
Bake in the oven (at 400° F) for 12-15 minutes or until the top is toasty. Serve garnished with fresh herbs if desired.