What is Functional Medicine?
Functional medicine is an individualized, patient-centered, science-based approach that empowers patients and practitioners to collaborate together to address the underlying root cause of disease and promote optimal wellness and vitality. This is modern “New Medicine” that truly focuses on health care and NOT disease care.
Functional Medicine focuses on prevention and underlying physiology versus symptoms of chronic disease. By analyzing and establishing a base line physiology through a detailed medical history, functional and traditional lab tests and integrative diagnostics, our practitioners create customized treatment plans that leas to improved patient outcomes.
Our perspective at Inspired Health is that Functional medicine practitioners are really “Inflammologists”. Our role as medical detectives, is to find the root cause of inflammation.
Inflammation is the number one common denominator of all dis-ease and symptoms.
Functional medicine is a science-based field of healthcare that is grounded in the following principles:
- Biochemical individuality describes the importance of individual variations in metabolic function that derive from genetic and environmental differences among individuals.
- Patient-centered medicine emphasizes “patient care” rather than “disease care”
- Dynamic balance of internal and external factors.
- Web-like interconnections of physiological factors – an abundance of research now supports the view that the human body functions as an orchestrated network of interconnected systems, rather than individual systems functioning autonomously and without effect on each other.
- Health as a positive vitality – not merely the absence of disease.
- Promotion of organ reserve as the means to enhance longevity and health span.
Unlock optimal health and wellness through personalized Functional Medicine
Functional Medicine Training
Our physicians’ postgraduate Functional Medicine Training started with Dr. Datis Kharrazian in 2006. In 2015 they were accepted into the Institute of Functional Medicine’s rigorous certification program. The IFM is a national and global leader in Functional Medicine education, and “The Functional Medicine Movement”. The certification program includes a week long Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice course, plus six Advanced Practice Modules within seven years from the time of application.
- Autoimmune disease
- Gut Health (GI Disorders)
- Fertility / Infertility
- Hormone Health (Endocrinology)
- Integrative Medicine
- Pain Management
- Chronic Disease
- Lifestyle Counseling and Wellness.
This is customized Integrative healthcare – designed to get to the upstream root cause.
Creating lasting strategies for optimal health, and the reversal of chronic disease.
We hope to teach and inspire you along the way.